Wednesday, May 8, 2013

I Can Lace... but I can't Lace Border...

So, I'm still working on this Christy Verity 198 Yards of Heaven shawl, which is probably not going to be used for what it was intended for as I'm over deadline and don't really know what I'm doing anyways...

I was totally fine with the lace pattern repeats and thought I was pretty high and mighty. Then I get to the lace border and suddenly nothing makes sense. I don't know if I have an incorrect stitch number (I guess I must), but according to the directions I seem to not have the correct number of stitches or I'm not following the directions correctly.

I backwards knit, undoing one row a few days ago, and tried to follow the chart tonight, and where I'm supposed to have six stitches before the center stitch, I only have three. This is what the directions say:

"K2, PM, *YO, K1, YO, K2tog, K1, PM [K1, SSK, K2, YO, K1, YO, K2, K2tog, K1] repeat stitches in brackets to last 6 stitches, * PM, K1, SSK, K2, YO, K1, YO], K1 (center stitch), repeat between * to last 2 stitches, K2"

So I'm guessing that the "repeat stitches in brackets to last 6 stitches" refers to the first half of the shawl, so I'd be doing one last repeat at the 6 stitches before the marked off center stitch. But I keep having 3. So obviously something's wrong.

I saw one person on Ravelry that decided to do away with the lace border altogether, but she repeated the 22 row-repeat 5 times. I only did it twice and frankly don't want to do it anymore. Lace is nice to look at but until I figure out how to do yarn overs without my hands cramping, I don't want to do very much of it.

So now I'm stuck. I guess I have to backwards knit again to get back to neutral ground and then bind off the shawlette. And then I get to block it and see just how small it is. And then I get to figure out what to do with it, because I won't use it.

Grumble grumble.

This is an old photo, but isn't it beautiful. Sigh.




1 comment:

  1. It IS beautiful! From the perspective of a non-knitter, that thing is amazing. YOU MADE THOSE PATTERNS WITH STICKS AND YARN. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete